- Learn to use WhatsApp Web and use the messaging app on your computer or tablet.
It was born almost five years ago, and since then, it has become the preferred way for millions of users to converse with their friends and loved ones through the PC. WhatsApp Web is, without a doubt, one of the best inventions to come out of the WhatsApp offices, since it allows you to send and receive messages from your computer or tablet, without the need to use the mobile app.
And although it is not as complete a solution as that of Telegram or other rivals in the field of messaging, the tool offers everything – or almost everything – that is necessary for those moments when we prefer to use WhatsApp through the browser instead of resorting to our smartphone.
Despite being a simple and easy-to-use utility, WhatsApp Web hides many more secrets and curiosities than most platform users could imagine. In this guide, we select some of the most useful, as well as several tips and tricks with which to get the most out of the web version of the messaging platform. But first, what is WhatsApp web really?
Its name leaves no room for doubt: WhatsApp Web is nothing other than the web version of WhatsApp. At first, the tool’s functions were limited, and among other things, it was not possible to send or receive documents. Until several months after its birth, only some browsers were compatible. Luckily, as time went by, new features were arriving that turned WhatsApp Web into a much more complete tool.
Regarding its operation, it must be taken into account that WhatsApp Web requires an associated mobile phone and is connected to the Internet at all times, or the application will not work.
This has caused the utility to be in the spotlight of criticism since multiplatform alternatives such as Telegram offer the possibility of continuing chats on computers or other devices such as tablets without the need to keep the phone associated with the account connected. Username. In addition, due to the system that WhatsApp Web uses, on more than one occasion, we have had to report problems or security breaches that would allow attackers to spy on users’ conversations.
How to use WhatsApp Web on your computer
One of the great strengths of WhatsApp Web over other desktop messaging platforms is its ease of use. Any user, whether new to the world or advanced, can use WhatsApp Web without too many complications. To do this, you have to follow a few simple steps:
- On your computer, use your browser to open the web version of WhatsApp.
- On your mobile, open the WhatsApp app and click on the three-dot button in the upper right.
- In the options menu of the WhatsApp application, click on “WhatsApp Web.”
- Scan the QR code that appears in the web version of WhatsApp with the mobile camera. If necessary, grant the necessary permission to WhatsApp to access the camera.
Once the connection has been made, all the conversations will appear in the web version of WhatsApp, and it will be possible to continue any of the chats through the computer monitor without having to use the smartphone.
WhatsApp Web works in any current browser, be it Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Opera, Microsoft Edge, or others.
Is it possible to use WhatsApp Web without a mobile or a QR code?
As I mentioned before, and as WhatsApp warns, as soon as the connection is made, the smartphone must remain connected to the Internet at all times, or otherwise, problems such as messages not received or temporary disconnections could appear. Thus, we will not be able to turn it off, or remove the SIM card, or disable Wi-Fi or data.
Therefore, at least today, there is no way to use WhatsApp Web without having a mobile to connect it. Therefore, there is no way to open WhatsApp Web without using the QR code.
How to use WhatsApp Web on an Android tablet or iPad
Although the tool was conceived to use WhatsApp through the browser on a computer, WhatsApp Web does not impose limitations when using the app on mobile devices.
In this way, as we explained more fully, it is possible to use WhatsApp on an Android tablet through WhatsApp Web. You have to follow these steps:
- On your tablet, open the browser and, from the options menu, activate “desktop mode.”
- Access the WhatsApp Web page.
- Scan with the mobile the QR code that appears on the screen of the tablet.
- Once scanned, all conversations will appear on the tablet screen.
How to use WhatsApp Web on an Android or iPhone mobile
And if you were wondering: yes, you can also use WhatsApp Web on an Android or iOS mobile. In this way, you can use your WhatsApp account on two mobiles simultaneously – what is commonly known as cloning WhatsApp -, in one with the messaging platform app and another with its web version. To do this, the process is very similar to the previous one:
- On your secondary mobile, open the browser and, from the options menu, activate “desktop mode.”
- Enter the WhatsApp Web page.
- Scan with the main mobile the QR code that will appear in the browser using the WhatsApp app.
- Once scanned, all the conversations will appear on the screen of the second mobile, and you can continue using the app on the first.
What to do if WhatsApp Web does not work
Among the most common problems of the web version of WhatsApp are disconnections, messages that do not arrive, or failures when making the connection between the mobile and the computer. Although these failures can be due to a multitude of causes, these are some of the most common and their solutions:
- Connection problems on the phone: if your mobile has network problems or is not connected to a stable enough network, WhatsApp Web may not work. Try connecting to another Wi-Fi network – if possible – or to the mobile data network.
- Connection problems on the computer: Similarly, if there are connectivity problems on the computer, WhatsApp Web will not work, and the problems will likely need to be fixed before trying to connect again.
- Messages not received: unfortunately, there is no specific cause related to messages not received through WhatsApp Web, and in this case, the only recommendation offered to us from the official support page of the application is to log out of WhatsApp Web and reconnect again.
It is also possible that WhatsApp has been crashed and that the app does not work correctly, which will also affect the operation of the WhatsApp Web. If so, all that is left is to wait for the problems to be fixed.
WhatsApp Web: the best tricks
We already know WhatsApp Web and how the messaging application is used with the most users on the planet through a computer. Now is the time to make the most of this utility through various useful tips and tricks that not everyone knows about.
WhatsApp Web keyboard shortcuts to get the most out of the application
Another advantage of using WhatsApp through the web is using a physical keyboard to write messages. This, in addition, allows you to get even more out of the platform thanks to a series of keyboard shortcuts supported by WhatsApp Web, which can be useful in various situations. This is the full list:
- Ctrl + N: Create a new chat
- Ctrl + Shift +] : Next chat
- Ctrl + Shift + [ : Previous chat
- Ctrl + E: Archive chat
- Ctrl + Shift + M: Mute chat
- Ctrl + Space: Delete chat
- Ctrl + Shift + U: Mark as unread
- Ctrl + Shift + N: Create new group
- Ctrl + P: Open profile
Find emojis in the fastest way possible
To write emojis without having to look for them, WhatsApp Web offers suggestions by typing a word followed by a colon “:” In this way, several emojis related to the word entered will appear.
Read messages without other contacts knowing.
If you do not have the double blue check of WhatsApp disabled, but at a specific moment, you want to read a message without another contact knowing it, you can do it with WhatsApp Web. To do this, you only have to leave the mouse cursor over the content of the message in the chat list until a small pop-up balloon appears with the content of the complete message.
Quickly send files from mobile to computer (and vice versa)
Several months ago, we already explained how to use WhatsApp as a personal cloud to store private messages and files. It is enough to create a group where there is no one but ourselves. This, in addition, can be very useful when sending files between the computer and the mobile quickly and without resorting to third-party services. It will be enough to attach any file to the conversation, either from the web version or the WhatsApp mobile app, and download it on the other platform. As simple as that.
Use WhatsApp as one more program on your computer.
You don’t need to open the WhatsApp web page every time you want to use it on your computer. In fact, it is much more convenient to use the tool in the form of a browser-based desktop application.
To do this, once, inside WhatsApp Web, you have to click on the options menu of the browser you are using and look for the option “create a shortcut,” “send to desktop, or similar.” The WhatsApp icon will appear on the home screen of the computer, and every time you want to enter the messaging app, you will only have to run the program as if it were any other app.
Use several WhatsApp accounts on the same computer
Open WhatsApp Web in your browser and log in. Now, open an incognito tab from the same browser, go to WhatsApp Web and log in with a different account. Voilà, you are using two WhatsApp accounts on the same device.
Activate the dark mode of WhatsApp Web
For some time now, WhatsApp Web has included a dark theme in the same way as the mobile application, which changes the interface’s colors to dark tones, so that reading messages is more comfortable in low-light environments.
To activate this function, you have to go to the menu from the three-point icon in the upper left part of WhatsApp Web, and within the “Theme” section, choose “Dark.”
Sharlene Meriel is an avid gamer with a knack for technology. He has been writing about the latest technologies for the past 5 years. His contribution in technology journalism has been noteworthy. He is also a day trader with interest in the Forex market.