Mechanical keyboards are pretty sturdy and function excellently. However, cleaning them timely elongates their lifespan, ensuring no dirt and grime leaves the keys unfunctional. Especially if you have a habit of eating snacks while using the computer, the keyboard is bound to become dirty and yucky, needing immediate cleaning. So, this article will discuss the various methods to help you clean your mechanical keyboard. Also, guide you in case of spills.
1- Use a Microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol:
- First, safely disconnect the keyboard from the PC to start the cleaning process.
- Then pick it up and turn it upside down, holding the keyboard in one hand while using the other to tap on it gently. That will help you remove all the big-sized food crumbs and other stuff trapped in-between the keys.
- Now, make a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. Pour one cup of water and one cup of isopropyl alcohol into a bowl and stir it. Store this mixture in a spray bottle for ease of use.
- Spray the blend on the keyboard and use a microfiber cloth to wipe the switches softly but thoroughly. You can keep wiping until you feel satisfied and the keyboard looks clean again.
2- Use cleaning supplies specifically designed for the keyboard:
Many cleaning supplies are designed particularly for keyboards. You can get any of them and get them done with an easy keyboard cleaning routine.
- A Vacuum cleaner is an effective tool for sucking dust and crumbs from the keyboard. You can use the one you regularly operate at home with caution or buy a special mini-size vacuum cleaner for keyboards. After you use the vacuum, take a damp cloth and use it to wipe the keyboard until you see no dust anymore.
- Keyboard cleaning gels allow good cleansing of the entire keyboard. Take some out of the container and spread it across the keyboard. Then press it over the switches. It will mould in the shape of the keys. Pull it back, and you’ll see that it has picked all the dirt and food crumbs. However, some brands of this cleaning gel can leave a sticky or slippery residue. You’d need a damp microfiber towel to wipe the keys and soak that effect.
- Mini-size brushes work like a duster that also helps a lot in cleaning. You can take the keyboard outside and use the brush to remove all the dirt, crumbs, grime, and any substance stuck on it.
After dusting off the keyboard with the brush, wiping it with a damp, lint-free cloth would give a nice finishing touch to your cleaning routine. Also, if the keys get sticky, use a toothbrush instead. Because of its stiffness and small size, it will help clean the keycaps and the crevices efficiently.
Dip the toothbrush in the blend of isopropyl alcohol and water and rub it on the switches to remove the sticky effect.
- Canned Air is used commonly for cleaning keyboards. However, it shouldn’t be used carelessly as it can cause condensation and leave a layer of frost that could damage the keyboard. Also, it could make the gunk or crumbs go right into the keys if not blow them away. Therefore, it’s better that you avoid using this product and rather use the Vacuum cleaner to get the job done.
3- Disassemble the keyboard:
If you don’t think you can manage to disassemble the keyboard and make it function again, you could look for a PC repair and MacBook repair shop to get the job done for you.
When it comes to mechanical keyboards, you get an option to deep clean the whole keyboard by taking off the keycaps.
- Click a photo of your keyboard so you can remember how to put the keycaps back after you pull them out.
- Start disassembling the keycaps by using a keycap puller.
- Once you pull off all the keycaps, make a concoction of water and hand wash in a bowl and put keycaps in it.
- Let them stay soaked for 30 minutes at least.
- After you take them out, place them somewhere safe and let them get air-dry.
- Meanwhile, you can use a mini-brush to clean the rest of the keyboard. And put all the keycaps back into their places after they become completely dry.
What to do if you spill something on the keyboard?
If you spill water or coffee on your keyboard, you could turn it upside down on a kitchen sink and allow all the liquid to pour out. Then let it sit for a day to dry and clean it with a damp towel. Take off all the keycaps and use an earbud to clean the internals. Put the keys back and reconnect your keyboard with the computer to see if it works.
If it doesn’t work, you could disassemble the whole unit and do advanced cleaning using a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. Watch the video below to learn more.
Keeping your mechanical keyboard cleaned and maintained is necessary for using it long-term. If the keyboard gets damaged due to spilling accidents, Master Computer, a trusted PC repair shop, can help you fix the keyboard and make it functional again.
Taylor is a freelance SEO copywriter and blogger. His areas of expertise include technology, pop culture, and marketing.