The daily use of our phone causes a certain part that the memory of the terminal, both internal and external, is filled with the multimedia files that we are storing without realizing it. A good trick to avoid reaching that full storage is to compress the videos, both those you record and those you store and share through applications.
There are various methods to compress a video on Android and thus take up less space on your mobile. Basically, the term “compress” means that to make a thing take up less space. We allow you to make a small spoiler without importance: the procedures that we will explain below are simple and will only take you a few minutes.
With online tools
One of the simplest procedures to compress a video on your Android terminal is to do it online with one of the many web pages that exist for it. Thus, you do not need to install applications on your terminal or have advanced knowledge.
As we said, there are several tools with these characteristics, such as Fastreel or VideoSmaller, although in our case, we have chosen Clideo to carry out the tutorial. So you can compress a video on Android with this online tool:
- Enter Cleo.
- Click on the blue button “Choose a video.”
- Select the video you want to compress in your mobile gallery. You can also upload it from Google Drive, Dropbox or paste the URL.
- Wait during the compression process to download the video with a size smaller than the one you uploaded to the platform.
That is how easy it is to compress a video with online tools like Clideo, although they have some drawbacks, such as the watermark of some of these services. Despite this, it is a good alternative if you want to compress a video without taking a long time.
Recording at a lower resolution
Another option to make a video take up less space is to record it at a lower resolution. It is a simple procedure available on all mobile phones, although the steps vary depending on the manufacturer and the terminal model.
Next, we will see how to change the recording resolution of a video from a Samsung Galaxy mobile :
- Open the camera app.
- Click on the “Video” option.
- Tap on the “FHD60” button -or the option that is configured- at the top.
- In the displayed options, choose the lowest resolution to ensure that the video you are going to record takes up less space.
This is the procedure to follow in the current Samsung Galaxy. It is possible that in other Android terminals, the option to change the resolution appears at the top of the screen. However, there are also mobiles in which you have to enter Settings to configure the resolution and frames per second video.
From the app in which you share it
Another method to compress videos on Android is to use the help from the app you share. Most social platforms, such as Instagram, WhatsApp, or Twitter, automatically reduce the resolution of the video so that it takes up less space.
Telegram goes one step further and puts in your hands the possibility of choosing the size of the video that you are going to share. That’s right; it has a built-in tool to change the video resolution without having to resort to other options. So you can modify the size of a video in Telegram.
- Open Telegram and enter the conversation in which you are going to share the video.
- Click on the gallery and select the video in question.
- On the video preview screen, tap the gear icon in the lower right corner.
- Slide the slider on the bottom bar to the left to reduce the resolution of the video and thus its size. You will see the current resolution and size after the changes at the top of the screen.
- When you’ve finished editing, submit your video.
Using task-specific third-party apps
The last option to compress a video on your Android device is to use the help of third-party apps designed specifically for that task. Some of them are Panda Video Compressor, Compress free video or video compressor, the latter being selected for our tutorial.
It is a free application with a reduced size and a more than simple and fast use. Step by step, let’s see how to use Video Compressor after downloading it to your phone or tablet.
- Open Video Compressor on your Android.
- Click on the folder where the video you want to compress is located.
- Select the video inside the folder.
- Click on the “Compress video” option. You can also choose to “Compress + cut video” if you want to reduce the recording duration.
- Choose from High quality, Low quality, or Custom options.
- Click on “Compress video,” and, after the compression process, the video will be automatically stored on your device.
4 are the methods to compress videos on Android explained in this guide. Some are faster, like web pages, and others are more complete, like applications, which offer multiple compression options. They all meet the same goal: that your videos take up less space.
Sharlene Meriel is an avid gamer with a knack for technology. He has been writing about the latest technologies for the past 5 years. His contribution in technology journalism has been noteworthy. He is also a day trader with interest in the Forex market.