Most Smart TV comes with some pre-installed apps for entrainment. However, there are many more apps available that are not pre-installed on Samsung Smart TV. Some people might think that installing third-party apps is illegal. On the contrary, you can install any third-party app without any problem. There’re different ways you can install 3rd party apps on Samsung TV.
How to allow installation of apps from unknown sources
To install third-party apps, you’re supposed to enable the installation from unknown sources. To enable this feature, follow these easy steps:
- Turn the Samsung Smart TV on.
- Click on the setting icon available on your remote.
- Navigate to the Personal tab icon and select the Security.
- Scroll down until you see the Unknown Sources icon. Click it to switch it on.
- Once you enable Unknown sources, you can download all the apps in other sources.
How to enable the developer mode
After enabling the installation of apps from unknown sources, the next thing is to enable the developer mode on the Samsung Smart TV. Enabling the developer mode allows you to access all valuable tools available on your TV. You need to enable this feature to download a third-party app. To enable the feature:
- Turn the TV on.
- From your Samsung Smart TV remote, click the Setting icon.
- Navigate through until you see the Smart Hub tab.
- Select it and go to the apps section.
- Once you click the apps panel, you’ll be required to enter the pin. Most Samsung Smart TVs use 12345 as the default pin. Enter the pin to continue.
- A new window with developer mode will appear. Click the Developer Mode icon to turn it on.
- Afterward, you’ll enter the IP address of the PC to be connected and press OK. If you don’t know what the IP address of your computer is, you can get it from Microsoft support.
- Once done, reboot the Smart TV, and you’ll be all set.
How to install third-party apps on Samsung TV
There are different things you can do to install third-party apps on your Samsung Smart TV.
1. Using command prompt
Downloading a third-party app using the command prompt is among the easiest way. However, you will be required to have a computer to complete the process. Command prompt requires you to enter a few commands to install apps on your Samsung Smart TV. To use this method, you need to have the IP address of the TV. If you’re unaware of it, follow these simple steps to get the IP address:
- Turn the TV on and go to the Settings.
- Navigate through until you find the Network icon.
- Search around and click on the Information icon to see the IP address list.
- Copy the IP address indicated there on your personal computer.
After getting the TV’s IP address, you should proceed to download the application you want. To download, follow these steps:
- Turn on your PC and run the Command Prompt feature.
- There you’re required to enter your TV’s IP address.
- Once you enter the TV’s IP address, your computer will show you that you are connected to the TV.
- Look at the file location of your app and run the Install D icon.
- The download process might take some time, be patient as it will appear once it is downloaded successfully.
- Once the process is complete, you’re required to search for it on the Samsung Smart TV. To get the app, go to the smart hub icon and select the apps available. The third-party application installed will appear there.
2. How to install apps on Samsung Smart TV from USB
Did you know that you can install a third-party application using a USB flash drive? Instead of downloading the app directly from your TV, you can download an apk file from your PC and then transfer it to your USB device.
For example, you can easily download the app you want to install using apkpure or any free 3rd party apk apps on your USB cable. To download:
- Connect the USB cable to the Samsung Smart TV.
- Go to the files and folder and select the apk file you want to install.
- On your TV, go to the settings and click on the Security and Restriction icon.
- Toggle on to enable the installation of third-party apps.
- Once done, now go to the apk apps of your files and click the install button.
- Follow all the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Once the installation process is complete, you can now open your new app by selecting the smart hub icon >apps >your new downloaded app.
3. Downloading and installing third-party app on Samsung Smart TV using dropbox or Google drive
It’s pretty easy to download a third party using Google drive. To install a new app on your Samsung Smart TV:
- Download your ideal apk file from your PC and transfer it to dropbox or google drive.
- Open the link from Google Drive and link it to your TV. Ensure both the PC and the TV is connected to the same browser.
- Download the file from your smart TV.
- Press the apk file and tap install to allow the installation of the application from your smart TV.
- Once you finish downloading the application, go to the TV settings and enable the installation of files from unknown sources.
- Once done, run the app by following the given on-screen instructions.
- After completing the process, you can find your newly downloaded app on your TV’s smart hub feature.
Remember, you can only use this method when connected to the internet.
4. Download 3rd party apps from the Samsung TV app store
To download an application from your Samsung Smart TV:
- Turn your TV on.
- Connect the TV to your home internet.
- Once connected, press the Home button on the remote.
- You will find the Apps icon available at the bottom left side of your TV.
- Select the Apps tab and all categories will appear on your screen. Choose your favorite category, and select the app you want to download.
- Select the app and click on the install button.
- Once the download process is complete, the app will appear on the Smart Hub.
- If it’s your first time using the app, you will be required to create a new user account.
Installing Android apps on Samsung Smart TV
Although Samsung Smart TV does not support Android, you can still get an android app to your Samsung TV. However, make sure the app you want to install is compatible with your Smart TV. All apps can work on Samsung TV since the Samsung OS cannot differentiate apps downloaded from the apps store and APK platforms.
Adding an application to old Samsung Smart TVs
Samsung’s older TV versions were based on Tizen operating system giving them some limitations. However, you can download new third-party apps with the process described above.
Unlike the new Samsung Smart TV versions, old versions have the unknown source option and the developer mode. Follow these steps if you want to download a third-party app.
- Locate the unknown sources and the developer mode on your smart TV. Check out the given options available on your remote to access the features.
- Ensure you use an APK website that’s compatible with the old version. When configuring the apps, ensure the app will run in your version.
- You can download using Smart Hub. Go to the app you want to install and click on the Select button.
- Follow the given on-screen instructions to install the app.
- Once installed, you can find the app on the Settings screen.
Although Samsung Smart TV is an excellent option for many viewers, its app store can limit what you want to view. However, there are different methods you can use to download and install third-party apps. Before you try to download and install any third-party app, ensure you’ve enabled installation from unknown sources.
Denis is an article/blog and content writer with over 3 years of experience in writing on different niches, including product reviews, buyer’s guide, health, travel, fitness, technology, tourism. I also have enough experience in SEO writing.