Roku provides its users with a great number of streaming content from across the globe. Their numerous features are a great source of entertainment and provides a great viewing experience. However, just like other devices, Roku smart TV is not perfect. It has its flaws and its advantages just like any other device. Among the common flaws of Roku Smart TV is that it sometimes may be slow to respond.
If you are experiencing this problem with your Roku smart TV there is no need for you to worry. In this article we point out all the possible causes of this problem and the possible fixes to help you go back to enjoying your favorite shows without any interruptions.
There are several factors to consider as the reason your Roku Smart TV is slow to respond. Most of these factors have simple fixes that can be applied even from home. Some of the main causes of slow response from your Roku smart TV include:
- Your Internet Connection is not stable– In most cases when your Roku Smart TV is slow to respond, an unstable or slow Internet connection is most likely to be the cause of this. A good Internet connection is a major necessity whenever you are streaming content. An unstable internet connection, or a slow one will not be sufficient for the content you are streaming to load. This will in turn make your Roku smart TV slow to respond.
- Congested network– This is an issue that is brought by using the same Wi-Fi Network for many devices. This can make your internet connection unstable or slow especially if the router you use cannot handle having many devices connected to it. Network congestion in most cases makes your internet connection slow making your Roku smart TV slow to respond.
- The streaming equipment could be damaged– a faulty hardware can also be the reason your Roku smart TV is slow to respond. The hardware of your Roku smart TV, Roku remote control and your router could be faulty in this case causing the problem.
- Service outages– service outages are a common cause of this problem. Both your internet service and your Roku smart TV can experience outages. In most cases service outages may be caused by technical problems or bad weather. It is advisable to use popular service providers for your internet service.
As a cause of this problem it is good to also consider how long you have been using your Roku smart TV or your Roku remote control. When devices are used over a long period they may start experiencing problems. Roku devices that have been used for a period of time will not be as efficient as new Roku devices. Therefore, this could also be the reason your Roku smart TV is slow to respond.
Fixing Roku Smart TV Slow To Respond Issue
Having known the possible causes for slow response on your Roku smart TV, you may now proceed to fixes that have been discovered through research to help you get through this problem. These fixes are fixes that can be carried out from home without necessarily having to call an engineer. Therefore they are economical and quite simple as long as you follow the steps correctly.
1. Restart Your Roku Smart TV
This is one of the easiest and basic ways to correcting any problem on your TV devices. It is an easy troubleshooting method that rids your TV off any temporary glitch. Running your Roku smart TV for a long period of time continuously may cause your Roku smart TV to be slow to respond. This may count as a temporary glitch that could be solved by simply restarting your Roku smart TV. To restart your TV you should follow these steps:
- Go to the Home Menu of your Roku smart TV.
- Go to settings.
- Choose System.
- Click on System Restart.
- Press Ok to confirm the Restart
- Leave your Roku smart TV undisturbed until it is done rebooting.
Alternatively, you can carry out this method by simply unplugging the power cord of your device from the power outlet. The steps to carry out this method are:
- Unplug the power cord of your Roku smart TV from the power outlet.
- Wait for 2 minutes.
- Plug in the power cord and turn on your device.
If this method corrects the problem with your Roku smart TV, your TV will go back to being as fast as it was before.
2. Boost the Internet Signal
This is another method to help you fix your Roku smart TV in case the restart method does not work for you. This method relates closely with a weak or unstable internet connection that may make your Roku smart TV slow to respond. If this is the main cause of the problem the first thing you should do is to check the strength of your wireless signal. To check this follow the steps below:
- Go to the Home Menu of your Roku smart TV.
- Go to settings then Network.
- If your device is connected to Wi-Fi, the strength of the signal will be displayed on the screen of your TV.
For different signal strength you can use the methods below to make your internet connection better and to improve the speed of your device.
- Excellent or Good– This shows that your internet connection is great, although it is possible that your router or modem is being affected by external factors like, wireless devices causing an interference. In this case, you should put away all devices that could possibly cause any interference. The number of devices connected to your Wi-Fi could also be a cause of weak network
- Fair or Poor– In this case you can change the position of your Roku streaming player. You may either move it closer to the modem or router or place it at a position that is higher than before. It is also advisable to ensure that there are no barriers between the two devices.
If you try these methods and the strength of your signal does not improve, you may consider buying devices that will help boost the coverage of your internet.
These devices are:
- Powerline extender
- Mesh network router
- Range extender.
3. Use a Wired Connection
As much as wireless connection is more preferred and easily manageable, they sometimes do not give the right internet speed. This may be the cause of the lagging in your Roku smart TV. This problem however can be easily fixed or corrected as long as you have an Ethernet cable. You only have to ensure that you use a Roku streaming player with an Ethernet port. To connect this to your router you may use an Ethernet cable.
You should also note that this method can only be used on the older version of Roku smart TV device.
4. Set up the Streaming Speed Manually
It is possible to set the streaming speed manually to your preference. This method gives you the freedom to set the streaming speed to your preference, therefore your Roku smart TV will not lag. Instead its response will be as fast as you set it to be. The steps to help you do this are below:
- Press these buttons in order:
- Home button 5 times.
- Fast forward button 2 times.
- Reverse button 3 times. A Bit Rate Override Menu appears.
- Choose an available speed override setting of your choice. The best one to use to get high streaming speed is 3.5 Mbps.
5. Hard Reset Your Roku Smart TV
This method clears the clamped-up cache on your device that could be causing the slow response from your Roku smart TV. This method will make your device faster than it is in its current condition. To hard reset your Roku smart TV you should follow the steps below:
- Go to the Home Menu then to Settings.
- Select System and click on it.
- Go to Advanced System Settings.
- Select Factory Reset.
- Enter the default code or your special code. Click OK to confirm.
Wait until the hard reset process is complete then check if your TV is fast than before.
If you notice any problem with your devices, instead of being frustrated and angry about it, you should just search for the simple fixes that will help you solve the problem. In this article, we make it easier for you to understand what may be the reason your Roku smart TV is slow to respond.
At the same time we make it easy for you to solve this problem by putting together 5 easy fixes that are easy to follow through. These fixes have been tried by different people and we are certain that they will work for you too. If you try these fixes and the problem is not solved, it is advisable that you seek further help. The Roku TV manufacturers have a customer service that you can contact for help.
Denis is an article/blog and content writer with over 3 years of experience in writing on different niches, including product reviews, buyer’s guide, health, travel, fitness, technology, tourism. I also have enough experience in SEO writing.